Friday, April 6, 2007

36. Cafe Review: Waffle Cafe Orange

I have walked past the Waffle Cafe Orange a million times, but never in the morning when I prefer to eat waffles. The displays outside are really tempting, but they are so big I knew I'd never have room for one after eating lunch. Finally, after a Japanese breakfast of miso soup, rice, and pickles, I decided to have a waffle for lunch!
I was surprised to see that they actually had four 'Waffle Lunch Sets'. There were three types of waffles to choose from: plain; avocado, tomato, and cream cheese; and salad with Caesar dressing. The fourth choice was a 'Waffle Plate', with a mix of waffle types (tuna/mayo/corn, tomato/cream cheese, and banana/chocolate). I was not brave enough to try anything but the plain waffle. Lunch sets come with coffee or tea.
The waffles were delicious, warm, light, and fluffy. I just wish I could have had a big glass of milk with them, instead of ice coffee. For those who do like to eat waffles anytime of day, the menu is quite extensive. In addition to the waffles above, choices include:

*Chocolate, almond, whip cream
*Seasonal fruit and whip cream
*Banana, chocolate, and ice cream
*Orange, mango sauce, and ice cream
*Powdered green tea, ice cream, and sweet beans
*Raspberry, blueberry, and ice cream
*Pizza waffle
(Add whip cream or ice cream to anything for 115 yen extra)

Drinks include a selection of coffees, teas, soft drinks, juices, and draft beer (500 - 700 yen).

I don't know how often I'll want to eat waffles, but it is a really nice cafe. The interior is light and airy, with old wooden floors, and lime green + sky blue walls. Floor to ceiling windows run down two sides of the restaurant. I think they open them when the weather is nice, practically making the entire restaurant 'open air'. The background music was reminiscent of the Caribbean. Inside there are seven tables for 2, and two slim tables for 4. Outside on the patio there are seven tables for two.